March 31, 2011

Juicy

Literally!  Today I started a three day juice cleanse, and I'm alternating between acceptance and freak-out.  The freak-outs are a result of my fear of failure. I'm not concerned that I'll wake up one day surrounded by a half-eaten cheese pizza, but that I'll cave and have a salad. I've ever been a great one for self control, so the thought of not chewing solely because I've decided not to chew scares me.

So this is what I'll be having for the next three days:


I'm doing the Blue Print Cleanse three day Renovation Cleanse, which is great for a newbie juicer like me.  The renovation is their entry level cleanse, which I think means it had heartier juices/more calories than the other cleanses.  It's only a little past one on day one, but I'm liking the juices (conveniently labeled in 1-6, the order in which they are to be consumed) so far.  Right now I'm sipping on a pineapple, apple, mint concoction and it's delicious.

In other, less literal juicy news, I recently finished another hat.


Details:
Pattern: Rikke, by Sarah Young
Yarn: Madeline Tosh DK
Needles: 3.5mm, 4.5mm
Start: March 24
Finish: March 26

I love this pattern, so so much.  It's so simple in it's appearance, design and construction, that it's genius.  All garter stitch and a subtle change in texture brought about by a simple change in needle size.  This is actually the second Rikke hat I've made; the first was for me and I wear it all the time.  It's black and I haven't managed to take a decent picture of it, so no blogging, but this pretty green (Jade is the colorway) shows the stitch detail and texture nicely.

I selected this yarn as part of a thank you gift I received for knitting something for a friend.  The way that it's dyed, the yarn seems almost to glow from the inside, all space-agey and stuff.  It's the first Madeline Tosh (side note: is she related to Peter Tosh, by chance? Because that would be cool) that I've ever worked with and now I get what all the fuss is about. It's incredibly buoyant and springy, making it a great pairing with patters in which stitch definition is a plus.  I was at Purl last week and had to stop myself from pulling one of her glowing tans off the shelf and shoving it into my basket, such was my enthusiasm for this yarn.  But I kept myself to the one skein of Spud & Chloe Sweater that I needed to finish another work in progress.

Last Friday I went to what turned out to be a lame party with some close friends (we enjoyed each other's company, anyway, almost as much as the Nilla Wafer banana pudding dessert that was on offer), and as we were leaving, I pulled this hat out of my bag and started working on it as we walked to the train.  I asked Him if he thought he might have use for the hat, when She jumped in and said she liked it, too.  Fortunatly, they're married, so Megan & David, this hat's for you!


Finally, a third, slightly more salacious and definitely funkier kind of juicy.  I leave you with the 1983 R&B hit "Juicy Fruit" by Mtume.  Sexy lyrics, yes, but it's still Sunday morning cleaning the house music to me.

7 comments:

Erin Joy said... Best Blogger Tips

I would totally be the one waking up next to a pile of empty Chinese food cartons with no recollection of how they got there. With a collection of chocolate bar wrappers stuck to my pillow...

Sayschnicklefritz said... Best Blogger Tips

Last weekend after the aforementioned party I woke up with an empty box of Crown Fried Chicken next to my bed, so yeah, I've been there.

LittleCanoe said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh good luck with the cleanse! Let me know how it works, I've always wanted to try one, but I, too, have the fear. I have very very little self control, and often think I'm starving even when I'm constantly chewing.

craftivore said... Best Blogger Tips

That song brings me right back to high school dances. As for the cleanse, you can do it! And you'll be glad you did. Each time you cleanse it's different, sometimes it seems easy and others super hard. It definitely makes you reassess your relationship to how you eat and that's a good thing. Sooo, glad that I'm done with mine.

Oiyi said... Best Blogger Tips

I happened upon their website a while ago. Let me know how you like the cleanse.

Cute hat!

Rima said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so intrigued to know how the cleanse went. It sounds interesting. And cute hat!

Sayschnicklefritz said... Best Blogger Tips

Rima: The cleanse was AWESOME! I wich I would have done it for 5 days instead of 3. It's a great way to kickstart clean eating habits. I highly recommend Blue Print Cleanse.