September 1, 2010

How do you beat the heat?

Me? I like to knock back a cool one. Or two.



If you doubt that it's hot, just check out the sweat on my brow.  September 1st and 95 degrees.  What?  Did I break my wrist?  No, that's not a cast. Those are just some fingerless mitts I crocheted for myself a while back.



Details:
Pattern: Marry Me Mary, by Janette Millbom
Yarn: unknown (recycled from a sweater)
Hook: F/3.75mm
Started: August 17
Finished:  August 18

I have a lot of dark winter accessories and have been wanting to add some lighter and brighter items, so this yarn fit the bill.  It was 3/4's of a Phildar sweater before I realized I was making the wrong size and didn't have enough yarn to finish the sweater anyway,  so I ripped out and started a couple of projects, this being the first completed.  It's more marled white and tan than it appears in these pictures and I'm not sure about the yarn content, but my guess is a cotton/poly blend.  I'd call it a worsted weight, so I worked the pattern it with a small needle so that the fabric would be dense and stiff.

The pattern is a modified Catherine's Wheel, and I had a really rough time picking it up.  I read the pattern, I read other versions of the stitch, I watched videos.  After about three hours I finally got it down.  It was one of the most frustrating crochet experiences I've ever had, but I felt really good once I finally got it down.  The mitts are crocheted back and forth rather than in the round, so they had to be seamed.  I decided that I wanted a visible seam, and so crocheted them together rather than sewing.

A mi me gustan!

4 comments:

Erin Joy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hard for me not to love a Catherine Wheel stitch - it took me awhile to figure it out, too, when I made my Catherine Wheel scarf. Nice job - bring on the cold front!

LittleCanoe said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that's hot! We had a rain storm yesterday. I think it was in the 60's. But today it's back into the 80's, which is a relief. I'm not ready for fall! Those mitts are so cute. You're a talent!

craftivore said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice mitts! They do look a bit like a cast in the first photo. Are you wearing a Liberty print? That's a beautiful floral.

Sayschnicklefritz said... Best Blogger Tips

Cold front has arrived! At long last. It's only 73 today and it feels positively chilly.
Craftivore: indeed this is a Liberty print, from their Target collection.