January 9, 2011

Sock it to me!

One of my first FOs of 2011 is a pair of socks I started in October 2010. These were done as part of a one clue released each week knit-a-long, and I was going gangbusters for the first three weeks, until test knitting and holiday knitting intervened.  I was kind of relieved to set them aside, though; I'm not sure why.  They weren't particularly difficult.



 Details:
Pattern: TTL Mystery Sock 2010, by Kristen Kapur
Yarn: Hazel Knits Artisan Sock
Needles: US 1/2.25mm
Started: October 9, 2010
Finished: January 3, 2011


I modified the pattern a bit.  The "tiny trowels" pattern on the ankle was getting to be a bit much for me, and so I decided to work in rib stitch along the foot instead, which was both faster and easier.  It also made them less fussy, and as I've said before, I'm not a fan of fussy knits.


This yarn I love.  I bought it when I was visiting my dad in Portland last fall.  I didn't spend time with any knitters while I was there, but I do have a very indulgent friend who very kindly took me to a couple of yarn stores I'd investigated. I picked up this skein at Twisted, which had a sizable collection or yarns dyed by small, independent dyers.  I'd never seen anything by Hazel Knits before and I loved this color, so it seemed like a good choice.  It was.

I hadn't been back to Portland for years, and it's changed a lot.  In addition to drinking delicious coffee and eating delicious pie, I saw a tiny museum


saw some crazy yard statuary


saw some hippies (natch)



hung out with a super cute niblette


and walked the city with my dad.

It was a great trip.  

3 comments:

Oiyi said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful socks! A really lovely color. I like the mods on the sock.

LittleCanoe said... Best Blogger Tips

Ugh, it makes me SICK that I wasn't here when you visited. I'm so MAD!!!! ah well, let's change that for next time. I would love to show you my fave yarn shop, Happy Knits. And, of course, all the wonderful food and drink that Portland has to offer.

Yarny Days said... Best Blogger Tips

I cannot get over the details in those socks.