May 1, 2009

Homeward bound . . .with a mission

All day today I had a bug up my but about walking home from work. It's one of my favorite things to do when the weather is nice (and I have a liberal definition of what constitutes nice weather), and I only live about three miles form my office, so it's easy. On top of my general anstyness, I had a particular reason for wanting to hoof it home: ice cream. For the past two years, I have been reading about Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, an independent ice cream company in Ohio. Their flavors (Queen City Cayenne, Salty Caramel, Savannah Buttermint and Kona Stout, to name but a few) sounded so unique and crazy delicious, but it always seemed rather piggish to order six pints of ice cream from Ohio all for me. Well, I almost peed my pants this week when I read that Jeni's ice cream is now available here in Brooklyn!
Since I enjoying walking home, the only thing standing between me and the ice cream was weather: thunderstorms were predicted for the late afternoon. Because I hate wussiness as much as I love ice cream, I decided to walk and chance it. My walk home takes me across the Brooklyn Bridge, my favorite place in New York. The rain was light and I was wearing my trusty North Face shell, and as I crossed the bridge, I felt my evening was off to a good start.
The store with the ice cream is in DUMBO, a small area just under the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges, and I found my way to the store without much ado. I spotted the ice cream and was excited, excited enough to spend $9.99 for a pint. I gushed to the clerk that I'd made a special trip to the store just for thatice cream. I was so happy that the fact that the skies opened up on me just as I exited the store didn't bother me (again, North Face). It's easy to give in to the fact that you're wet, drenched even. My great aunt Katie used to say about rain "Ach, I'm not made of sugar; I won't melt." Plus, it's really cozy to come home, sopping wet, strip nekkid and put on cozy pyjamas. Which I did. 20 minutes after buying my ice cream. Salty Caramel. It was crazy delicious and totally deserving of the walk.